Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Silkworm:


In 1995, I discovered what would become my all-time favorite rock band. I got into a lot of bands by reading reviews of them and buying their records sound-unheard. I was only 19, and therefore unable to go out and see a lot of the acts that were active at the time. (Seattle has traditionally had a tumultuous relationship with all-ages venues.)

I had seen the name Silkworm show up in the local music press (meaning the late, lamented Rocket) from time to time. They were on the receiving end of a little buzz around town, and there was something about their aesthetic that I found appealing. I came across a used copy of their second album (In The West) at Cellophane Square in the University District, and figured "what the hell?"

I remember sitting in the living room of the shitty little house I shared with four other people, listening to In The West and initially not knowing what to think. It was a trebly, abrasive-sounding record filled with off-key yelping and the sounds of Telecasters being molested and drums that sounded as if they'd been recorded inside of an oil tanker. It was confusing. So I listened to it again. And again. And again.

The first song that really put its hooks in me was "Raised By Tigers," a composition by one Joel RL Phelps. It sounded menacing in spots, hopeful in others, and powerful all around. It builds and builds until about halfway through before Phelps explodes. It was my favorite song (of all songs, by anyone) for years. Initially, Phelps' songs appealed to me the most; they tended to be more minor key, more introspective, and just darker all-around. The other songwriters (Andy Cohen and Tim Midgett) were (and are) fine songwriters, each with their own distinct style and voice, but it took me longer to really appreciate how they did what they did.

The more I listened to Silkworm, the more I became addicted. I purchased their other 1994 release (Libertine), and by the time 1996's Firewater came out, they had attained their status as the numero uno band in my collection. (Phelps had quit just prior to the release of Libertine, and has put out several excellent records as a solo artist.)

Silkworm released upward of 14 records and EPs before drummer Michael Dahlquist was killed almost two years ago. Andy and Tim have a new band called Bottomless Pit, who I got to see live last year, and totally kicked my ass.

There's a pretty comprehensive rundown of the Silkworm discography here. I'm sure I'll be writing about them more in the future.

Silkworm - "Raised By Tigers" [4.81 mb]

No comments: