Wednesday, July 4, 2007

June of '44:

For once, Seattle is having clement weather on the 4th of July. I've always associated June of '44's Four Great Points with the summertime - specifically the summer of 1998, and all the shenanigans that went on then.

This record came out when I was in the midst of my math-rock period. Pretty much anything that came out on Thrill Jockey/Touch & Go/Quarterstick found its way into my collection. I have a hard time listening to a lot of that stuff now. A lot of it sounds soulless, and dated. (See also: drum & bass.)

Four Great Points has held up though. (Granted, it's not terribly math-y, but whatevr.) The first track ("Of Information And Belief") is a slow burner and a great kick-off to the record. And I recall having a "why-didn't-I-think-of-that" moment when I heard the typewriter intro to "Air #17".

June of '44 - "Of Information & Belief" [9.5 mb]
June of '44 - "Air #17" [9.3 mb]

No comments: