Sunday, August 19, 2007

Cake Like

Kerri Kenney (from Cake Like/The State/Reno 911)'s dad was the voice of Lion-O from Thundercats. Who knew?

Cake Like was a great, totally underappreciated band. Their first album, Delicious, was put out by John Zorn's Japanese affiliate Avant. It's not as strong as their sophomore disc Bruiser Queen, which is the first of their recordings I purchased. It's also one of the first releases from Neil Young's Vapor imprint, as well as one of the first HDCD-format compact discs*. I saw them on the Conan O'Brien show and was blown away by their combination of weirdness and pop sensibility. Kenney's flat vocal delivery and their rudimentary playing could have made for a boring listening experience in clumsier hands, but their sense of humor and clever songwriting made Bruiser Queen one of my favorite records of the late 90s.

Their third disc, Goodbye, So What, wasn't quite as good as Bruiser Queen, but still had some rockers on it - namely "Dead To Me", which lyrics supply the title of the album, and became a mixtape favorite of mine.

Below is the video for their "hit" (perhaps only) single, "Lorraine's Car" from Bruiser Queen.




*don't ask me why I remember shit like this. I can't help it. It's part of the reason I have a music blog.

No comments: