Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Explosions In The Sky:

An ex-girlfriend hipped me to Explosions In The Sky a couple of years ago. I like moody, epic rock songs (i.e. Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Do Make Say Think, and especially Mogwai), and these dudes fit the bill.

I was surprised when I found out that they'd done the soundtrack to Friday Night Lights. I don't typically associate epic instrumental rock songs with high school football. I finally got around to watching the movie last night, and ya know what? It works. Their music has been carried over into the TV series on NBC, which is actually pretty good as well. Plus it gives me a bit of a football fix until the NFL season starts again.

I've been geeking out on the longer of the two versions of "Your Hand In Mine" that appear on the soundtrack. (The original, 8-minute long version is from their 2003 album The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place.) Something about the chord progressions they use in this song just get me. I can't put it any better way than that.

I'm also putting up "The Moon Is Down" from 2001 release Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever, which is the first song of their's I ever heard.

FYI: big files, as is demanded by epic songs.

Explosions In The Sky - Your Hand In Mine (with strings) [6.73 mb]

Explosions In The Sky - The Moon Is Down [14.52 mb]

No comments: